On campus

If there are injuries call 911

If there are no injuries call (970) 491-6425


Off campus

If there are injuries call 911

If there are no injuries call (970) 221-6540


Self report

If you would like to to fill out an accident report yourself, please go to the Colorado Online Accident Report at https://mydmv.colorado.gov/?Link=AccidentCounterReport


When in doubt call 911


The Law

Colorado state law requires that ALL motor vehicle accidents be reported immediately to the proper law enforcement authorities (42-4-1606 CRS). A traffic accident is defined as unintentional damage or injury caused by the movement of a vehicle or its load.

What to do?

If you get into an accident call the police. If there are no injuries and you can move your vehicle out of traffic, please do so. Then follow the steps outlined below:

  1. Exchange Information
    • Date and Time of Crash
    • Location of crash (Streets, City)
    • Number of vehicles involved (including yours)
    • Vehicle Information
  2. License Plate & State
  3. VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
  4. Make
  5. Model
  6. Year
  7. Color
  8. Driver’s Information
    • Name (First Middle Last)
    • Date of Birth
    • License Number and State
    • Phone Number
    • Address
  9. Insurance Information
    • Insurance Company
    • Expiration Date
    • Policy Number
  10. Vehicle Owner Information
    • Name (First Middle Last)
    • Address

If condition preclude you from immediately reporting, please go to CSU Police Department in Green Hall or Fort Collins Police Services (for accidents off campus) to do a counter report. Bring all the above information with you, including your driver’s license, vehicle registration, and insurance.

Print out a card that you can keep in your vehicle that has all the information you need to obtain in the case of a motor vehicle accident..